Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2carbonation)

On Apr 9, 10:45*am, dgk wrote:
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:34:49 +0000 (UTC), Elmo

wrote:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

Particularly on topic for me because I have an Air Horn on my bicycle:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound.../dp/B000ACAMJC

It uses what appears to be a slightly thicker version of a soda
bottle. It is a very effective horn, in fact, a bit too loud. It
sounds like a Hemi on helium but does get through those jogger's
headphones.

Anyway, the bottle is usually fastened right below the crossbar, which
is right below my, well, nuts. We're told to fill it to 100 psi. If
there is one thing I don't want, it's that bottle exploding down
there.

Note the cost of this item. The price "reduction" drops it below the
free shipping ($25) level so it ends up costing more. Excuse me but
I'll just pay full price and get it shipped for free.- Hide quoted text -

Considering all the above .................. were these tests
conducted on brand new (previously unusd) or 'used' ad emptied
bottles?

Used bottles having been previously stressed by the 'normal' pressure
of soft drinks.