Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default How best to connect two water barrels?

In message , Ed
writes
The first water barrel (A) on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. I
want to put in a second barrel (B) in a direct line (no bends
involved) from the first barrel and down a slight slope. Both are
fitted with taps, but I would always prefer to drain the water from the
lower barrel B as it is a little more accessible. How best to connect
these?

I have options to run a connection pipe from the upper barrel (A) to
the lower barrel (B) as follows:

1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B
2. Connect from top of barrel A to bottom of barrel B
3. Connect from bottom of barrel A to top of barrel B
4. Connect from bottom of barrel A to bottom of barrel B

Which would be the best option? Or maybe there are other options that I
not thought of?

The alternative is connect via a siphon. which in essence is the same as
no. 4

Basically a hose pipe dangled over the top butt A until it lies on the
bottom, do the same with the other end in butt B. Once A is full, prime
the siphon (attach to tap, pour water down it, suck very hard :-) etc.)
water will flow from A to B until levels are the same. As long as
doesn't break, then the siphon will maintain the levels.

Ideally B is the same height as A as otherwise A will only fill to the
top of B, but if slop isn't to much shouldn't matter a great deal. You
can always raise B up a bit on a platform
--
Chris French