Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding/buffing/polishing epoxy clear coat top

blueman wrote:

So specifically,
- Can the gloss be restored by sufficiently fine sandpaper grits (I
have up to 3000) and/or by buffing?

Yes, but there is no need to go beyond 1000 grit before switching over to
compounds. Wet sand it to keep grit from building up in the paper. Use a
foam block to keep an even pressure and avoid gouges from finger pressure.

- Will (hand) sanding alone be sufficient by using sufficiently high
grits or do I need to use an orbital buffer/polisher?

Hand sanding is just fine. Orbitals are fine as well. I've we sanded more
cars than I can count, by hand.

- If buffing/polishing is necessary, how would you go about it? (what
types of pads and/or polishes and buffing compounds)

Knock the dust nibs down with 1000 grit wet. Get the surface as smooth as
you want it and switch over to any rubbing compound you like. Automotive
rubbing compounds should work just fine. Use a medium cut rubbing compound
and if you want, go over that with a swirl mark remover. Use a soft cloth
and some elbow grease with the rubbing compound and less elbow grease with
the swirl mark remover. You can of course, use a buffer as well, but be
careful - it's easy to burn through even tough finishes with a buffer.

--

-Mike-