Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default want to remove pedestal sink from bathroom, first time

KOS wrote:
Hi. I have a pedestal sink that I want to remove.. I have not done
this before just want to ask a couple of questions.
First, once I shut the cold and hot water below the pedestal, should
that be best way to shut water or do I have to shut the whole house
off?

The pipe that goes from the wall to the pedestal- shaped like a U, I
remove that from the wall?

Thanks!
KOS

There are no dumb questions, and everybody has to start somewhere. But
given the questions you asked, I think you need more help than can be
given in a couple of paragraphs. Before you do anything, I strongly
recommend you Google some web sites on 'basic household plumbing', and
probably buy one of the DIY books on the same subject. A picture is
worth a thousand words, etc.

But having said all that- what is the overall project you are doing?
Just changing the sink, or redoing the whole bathroom? If you are just
changing out the sink, and the existing shutoffs and drain fitting in
wall are in good condition, it is not much harder than changing a light
bulb. If the shutoffs are all crusty with blue-green scale, they are
likely to self-destruct as you mess with them, so you definitely want to
find the house shutoff and have a clear path to it, before you start.
(If other people are in the house, they usually get cranky if you shut
everything off.) Any time you take a drain trap (the U-shaped thing)
apart, it is cheap insurance to install a new one, especially if the old
one is metal. Metal ones can be on the verge of leaking for years, and
only fail when torque is applied to them. Plastic ones are usually more
forgiving, but the seals can be iffy, and the nuts can crack. They are
dirt cheap to replace, so little reason not to. Do you have tools? Does
your new sink (if your are installing one) have a drain tailpiece
included? If not, you will need one of those as well, and plumber's
putty to seal the drain ring. Are you installing a new faucet? Are the
(usually flexible these days) supply lines long enough to reach the
existing shutoffs? And so on and so on, which is why I suggest the book.

But please don't let me discourage you- this is a pretty easy DIY project.

--
aem sends...