Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_2_] The Medway Handyman[_2_] is offline

Default 1/4 turn ceramic tap inserts

John wrote:
I've replaced lots of ceramic cartridges that were only a few years
old. Spawn of Satan IMO.

Is the Medway Handyman unable to adapt to modern devices?

Does use a fall back line with his customers to blame his failures on
modern technology?

Neither. I live in the real world. I've sorted more leaky taps than you
could imagine. Ceramics don't last that much longer than washers in all
cases.

Situation 1. Traditional tap. Turn off water, remove head assembly,
replace washers, check seat, reseat if necessary, replace, turn on water,
check work. Worst case scenario 1 hours labour max - usually less, I don't
bother charging for washers.

Situation 2. Ceramic Cartridge tap. Turn off water, remove head assembly,
sod about removing bits of broken cartridge moulding (in many cases). Drive
to only stockist of ceramic cartridges in town, match cartridge, drive back
to customer, replace, turn on water, check work. Worst case scenario 2
hours + labour (depending on traffic), cost of cartridges £12 - £20.

Granted I earn more with ceramic taps, but the customer doesn't. He has
bought a maintenance headache.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk