Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning 'real' knotty pine paneling

On 3/5/2010 9:03 AM Kate spake thus:

Ok boys... schooch over and let a woman do the cleaning.

First NO SCOTCH BRITE OR STEEL WOOL. They will scratch, and you'll be sorry.

As mentioned above, Murphys Oil Soap.
Great for cleaning wood, will not damage the finish or your hands.

[snip]

You know, I'm ready to get on board with all your suggestions except for
the one about Murphy's.

What the hell *is* this stuff, anyhow? It seems to have an almost
cult-ish following, but it's not clear at all what it actually is. Is it
soap made from oil? Does it contain oil?

I've used Murphy's, and it seems like mediocre soap at best. Certainly
no better than my preference, which is Simple Green. Or really any soap
for that matter. In my experience, the type of soap doesn't really
matter: it's pretty much all the same stuff, whether it's dish
detergent, hand soap, or whatever the most highly-marketed stuff in a
spray bottle (409, Mr. Clean, etc., etc.) happens to be.

Speaking of cult soaps, does anyone else here remember Fels Naphtha
soap? I remember my mom using this stuff, which was some of the
worst-smelling soap I've ever been around. Do they still make this stuff?

(Huh, whaddya know: it looks like it's still being made.)

- a Usenet "apology"