Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Cleaning 'real' knotty pine paneling

"thermo102" wrote in message
While visiting my sister-in-law in Suffolk, Va. a couple years ago, she
asked if I knew of a good way to clean or brighten up the paneling in her
kitchen and dining room. It just looked too darned good to give her an
off-the-wall answer. (read as I didn't have a clue)

The house was built approximately 1965 and I'm sure she has used lots of TLC
because the paneling looks great, but I'm sure it has darkened considerably
over the years. Because of waxing, cooking, or cigarette smoke I've no
idea. I suspect all of the above, and maybe more.

We are planning another trip 'back east' this year and I thought it would
be nice when we drop in to see her to have an answer to her question.

The only thing I can think of offhand is TSP. Any hints or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated!

Thermo

The house I grew up in had knotty pine T&G boards on the walls. When
you say "real" knotty pine paneling I'm assuming you don't mean plywood.
TSP is a good start and it may take several applications to remove 45 years
of kitchen grime. Use plenty of elbow grease and don't worry about damaging
the wood as it isn't just a few thousandths of an inch veneer. Be aware that
TSP will likely dull the finish.
I don't remember polyurethane being available back then so your finish is likely
to be lacquer (Deft was readily available) or varnish. If you have to strip the
finish, lacquer can be removed with lacquer thinner and a cloth. If it's
varnish
you will probably have to use a commercial stripper. The usual precautions
apply.
If you are expecting to get the appearance to look like it was when new you
will have to sand or plane the surface of the boards to remove all traces of
the finish and the oxidized wood surface.
Art