Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Can you make your own Wipe-on Poly by adding mineral spirits?

Zz Yzx writes:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:23:26 -0500, blueman wrote:

I notice that the Minwax Wipe-on Poly sells for more than the standard
brush-on Poly (in part becomes it comes only in smaller cans).

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?

I've used naptha to thin as well. It evaporates very quickly, and
allows re-coating earlier.

The regular (non wipe-on) Minwax poly claims you can recoat after 4-6 hours.
How much faster can you recoat when diluted with Naptha?

I would have (naively perhaps) thought that waiting for the Naptha to
evaporate would still leave you with the poly which would then take the
same more or less 4-6 hours to dry though maybe a bit less since you end
up applying a thinner coat.