Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can you make your own Wipe-on Poly by adding mineral spirits?

On 3/3/2010 10:23 AM blueman spake thus:

My understanding is that Wipe-on Poly is just regular polyurethane
diluted with mineral spirits.

Can I do just as well by making my own Wipe-on Poly from bulk
polyurethane by just adding mineral spirits? (Or are there other
"magical" ingredients that are added...)

If so, what ratio should I add it in?

My guess: yes, and maybe 2:1 (2 parts thinner). Heck, easy enough to
try. If you do, please report your results back here.

- a Usenet "apology"