Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Rewiring an Anglepoise lamp

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 03:35:58 -0800 (PST), NT wrote:

On Feb 16, 9:46*am, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 01:05:24 -0000, Michael Chare wrote:
"PeterC" wrote in message
Just rebuilt a mid-'60s bog-standard Anglepoise lamp as it was getting
floppy, mucky and the flex was intermittent in function! (i.e. bloody near
nackered).
Flex was flat-three, with the earth connected to the bottom of the first,
central, arm and the remaing two fed through the arms. This meant, of
course, that there was only one layer of insulation between conductor and
sharpish metal and that the earth went through three sets of joints.

I'm wondering what to use now. Even 0.5mm miniature mains flex might be
too
big to get through the grommets (and could be a right abstrad to feed
through) and I haven't been able to find any flat-three.
With 3-core flex, the earth would have to be brought out at the top, but
that's no bad thing and no worse than being at the bottom.

Mine is wired with a round plastic covered three core flex. *I have a
brass/(or brass plated) bulb holder with an earth terminal.
My main problem is that it gets to hot to turn off.

My lamp-holder is Bakelite, but I'll use a CFL in it.

I'll see if I can find some miniature mains flex, pref. black, to use.

If you cant find anything to fit, perhaps you could take out the old
flex, locate the failure point (by wiggling it with multimeter clipped
on) and shorten it. Then to clean it up run the flex thru the
dishwasher, give it a week to dry and refit old flex good as new.

NT

The break was too far from an end :-(

I'm the dishwasher and I have my limits!

Just been to B&Q but nowt there. I can feel a bodgification coming on.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.