Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheldon Lathe

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

I've never seen a chart of ID numbers but I know the numbers are very
important if you get docs from Acme/Sheldon - they will send them -
but the numbers are good between dates they know certain numbers and
can date them - within good reason.

Get the docs from Sheldon - they will help in a number of ways as you
clean and discover a warn pad or gear or half-nut. Some of it - how does
it get apart.

Sheldon closed in the early 1970's, and when DeVlieg-Bullard II was
acquired by Bourne & Koch, I think they got rid of all the Sheldon
stuff. DeVlieg would at least send you the owner's manual for your
model/date range. Bourne just says they have nothing.

So, the last hope is the Yahoo Sheldon group, which is graced by one of
the family members, John Knox, who knows EVERYTHING about these
machines. Ask him what bearing goes in the varispeed drive, and he will
get back in a couple hours with the exact part number!

There is no chart of model numbers, because the letters mean different
things in different combinations. "T" could mean Timken bearings, ot
Taper Attachment, or Turret Tailstock, or something else. But, John
knows pretty much how to figure it out.

Jon