Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting 600mm porcelain tiles - how?

In article
,
wrote:
Two types of tile cutter I see widely used, the "table saw" type with
a diamond wheel and the tile slid through it (or the wheel slides over
the tile), - or the score-and-crack type.

Which would work best for large porcelain tiles (600mm by 600mm, about
8mm thick)?

I borrowed a friends table saw type (which is too small for these
tiles - but allowed me to at least try taking a slice off one edge) -
and it cuts them, smoothly but very slowly.

You can get blades which cut faster - but may not give as clean a cut.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'too small' The tile doesn't need to be
supported by the bed at all times. Although a larger one can make things
easier. But I doubt you'll find a reasonably priced one that has a 1200 x
1200mm bed.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.