Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting 600mm porcelain tiles - how?

TheOldFellow wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:12:43 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:

Two types of tile cutter I see widely used, the "table saw" type with
a diamond wheel and the tile slid through it (or the wheel slides over
the tile), - or the score-and-crack type.

Which would work best for large porcelain tiles (600mm by 600mm, about
8mm thick)?

I borrowed a friends table saw type (which is too small for these
tiles - but allowed me to at least try taking a slice off one edge) -
and it cuts them, smoothly but very slowly.

So do I need to get a hold of a larger/professional model, or is score-
and-crack better on porcelain?

I also need to do an irregularly shaped cut-out on a tile or two to
fit around a shower valve.

What is going to work well for porcelain tiles for irregular cut-outs?

I used a table saw type for 600x300 10mm porcelain tiles, no problem, a
little ingenuity needed to support them. For big holes I used a
diamond core drill, for odd shapes an angle grinder and dry diamond
wheel.

The biggest problem with big tiles is getting a flat substrate. Floors
are best self-levelled, walls maybe marmox or another tile backer. Oh,
yes, and work from a good support, e.g. a batten or floor up, no
adhesive has the power to hold a 600x without slip.

No need or that. Use strings and a level, and thick rapid set cement.

Its no more expensive than self levelling, which doesn't, anyway.

R.