Posted to alt.home.repair

Default humidifier drain line

There may be a legal issue with dumping water like that into
the sanitary sewer (washing machine drain). Particularly for
the AC condensate, when summer arrives. That said, I'd go
ahead and run the condensate pump line into the drain. What
they don't know won't hurt you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kyle" wrote in message
I have an Aprilaire humidifier hooked up to my furnace
(natural gas)
and this morning I found water on the floor under the
condensate pump
where the humidifier drains. The pump is attempting to run,
but it
isn't draining - the reservoir is full and not emptying.

As it was 5.2 degrees (Fahrenheit, not Celsius) this morning
and
hasn't been above freezing for a few days, I suspect the
drain line,
which empties outside next to the a/c condenser unit, froze
and is
blocked.

Question 1: any suggestions for how to thaw the line well,
with little
risk of refreezing? (Sunshine is not a thawing option, as
the line
comes out under the back deck and never sees direct light.)

Question 2: since the furnace is in the laundry room and
there's no
other drain (such as a sink) in the room, is it a good idea
to maybe
re-route the condensate drain into the pipe where the
clothes washer
drains?