Posted to alt.home.repair

Default humidifier drain line

On Feb 9, 7:38*am, LouB wrote:
Kyle wrote:
I have an Aprilaire humidifier hooked up to my furnace (natural gas)
and this morning I found water on the floor under the condensate pump
where the humidifier drains. The pump is attempting to run, but it
isn't draining - the reservoir is full and not emptying.

As it was 5.2 degrees (Fahrenheit, not Celsius) this morning and
hasn't been above freezing for a few days, I suspect the drain line,
which empties outside next to the a/c condenser unit, froze and is
blocked.

Question 1: any suggestions for how to thaw the line well, with little
risk of refreezing? (Sunshine is not a thawing option, as the line
comes out under the back deck and never sees direct light.)

Question 2: since the furnace is in the laundry room and there's no
other drain (such as a sink) in the room, is it a good idea to maybe
re-route the condensate drain into the pipe where the clothes washer
drains?

Yes to the second question if the laundry drain inlet is lower than the
humidifier outlet.- Hide quoted text -

That doesn't matter. Read the post, he has a pump already.

The washer drain is fine. If there is room you can just stick the
discharge hose into the drain. But check the pump first with another
piece of line and a bucket. Soemtimes those thing sound like they are
running but really are broken.