Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Advice on cutting and repairing sheetrock wall

On Feb 6, 7:50*pm, aemeijers wrote:

snip

I gave up years ago trying to center-cut on a stud- the joint always
ended up looking like crap, from the screws blowing out the cut raw edge
of the drywall. Now, instead, I flush-cut as tight as I can on the side
of the stud where it needs to be opened, and screw (not nail) blocks
against the stud, to catch the edge of the patch when it gets
reinstalled.

All that work can be avoided if you simply use a jig saw with a
shortened blade to just cut the drywall thickness. I have center cut
for drywall patches for years this way. Preparing a new patch first
and using it to mark the opening makes the job a breeze if the cut out
section cannot be reused for some reason. If a stud to stud patch
might be subjected to some stress, then the usual backing means are
advised.

Joe