Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Advice on cutting and repairing sheetrock wall

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 18:57:50 -0600, Zootal
wrote:

I have to cut a chunk of sheetrock out of a wall, approx. 2' x 5', to
repair some plastic water pipes (why do people use plastic in places like
this???). I'm going to replace the shower/tub valve, and replace all of the
plastic with copper. This is the final stage of a repair job that I started
a few weeks ago when a plastic (cpvc) pipe broke in the bathroom wall. I'm
basically replacing all of the plastic with copper, and putting in new
valves for the tub/shower, and toilets.

My question has to do with removing and replacing the sheetrock. I'm not
sure I can remove a piece this big intact, since it crosses a stud and is
screwed to the stud in a dozen places. Should I just hack it out of the
wall, or should I take the time to find and remove the screws so that I can
remove it intact?

If I take the time and trouble to remove it intact, I can replace it with
minimal finishing work. If I replace it, I have to redo the texture that is
on it so that it matches the rest of the wall. Any advice from those of you
who have done this before?

Plan on refinishing the whole wall.