Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal[_7_] Zootal[_7_] is offline

Default Advice on cutting and repairing sheetrock wall

I have to cut a chunk of sheetrock out of a wall, approx. 2' x 5', to
repair some plastic water pipes (why do people use plastic in places like
this???). I'm going to replace the shower/tub valve, and replace all of the
plastic with copper. This is the final stage of a repair job that I started
a few weeks ago when a plastic (cpvc) pipe broke in the bathroom wall. I'm
basically replacing all of the plastic with copper, and putting in new
valves for the tub/shower, and toilets.

My question has to do with removing and replacing the sheetrock. I'm not
sure I can remove a piece this big intact, since it crosses a stud and is
screwed to the stud in a dozen places. Should I just hack it out of the
wall, or should I take the time to find and remove the screws so that I can
remove it intact?

If I take the time and trouble to remove it intact, I can replace it with
minimal finishing work. If I replace it, I have to redo the texture that is
on it so that it matches the rest of the wall. Any advice from those of you
who have done this before?