Posted to rec.woodworking
mikenj mikenj is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Motor Removal

On Feb 5, 10:47*pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Feb 3, 2:49*pm, mikenj wrote:

I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

On mine, the front plate on the arm is removed and the motor assembly
rolled forward and off the arm. The Electrical cable was held by a
small clamp screwed to the rear of the arm. When I removed the screw
that held the clamp/cable in place, the entire motor assembly was
ready to take to the "motor shop."

If you look closely on that motor, you may spy a small red button
somewhere on the motor itself. This is a RESET BUTTON. If the blade
turns freely (with the power off, pleas!) try pressing this little red
button. Then plug it back in and turn on the power switch'

If this works, send my check to The Salvation Army in a rasonable
amount.

Sorry, no check for you. I hit the reset more times than I can count.
I followed the exact procedures in the troubleshooting guide with no
luck. I did figure out how to get the front faceplate off and that is
where the power cord terminates to the switch. Now I have a frozen
screw that is not allowing me to get to the switch assembly. I sprayed
it with some WD-40 and am letting it soak overnight. I'm guessing that
there is something wrong with that reset switch.