Posted to rec.woodworking
mikenj mikenj is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Motor Removal

On Feb 4, 12:47*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Feb 4, 5:43*am, "Anon" wrote:

"mikenj" wrote in message

I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck.

If the motor has accessible carbon commutator brushes,

The kind of motor that has brushes doesn't need or have a capacitor;
the capacitor usually works with a 'start switch' which can be kept
open by a speck of sawdust. *Cleaning that switch is the goal of
disassembly, and commonly one must remove one of the ends
(bell *housing) of the motor to get to it. *It'll the the end housing
that
has the electrical wiring connections.

You are correct that this motor has a capacitor and from my limited
experience, was the only easy component that I can access within the
motor. Also in this compartment are the 110/220v terminals. I did not
see any switch inside the motor, unless you mean the start switch
located in the arm. I have not opened that up yet, but have studied
the diagram and will give it a try this weekend. As far as the motor,
there is not much exposed as far as winding and brushes - it is a very
sefl-contained unit except for the access to the capacitor. There are
some hefty star screws with ominous warnings of removal which can
cause misalignment. In any case, I do not have the drivers to unscrew
them. I can do the basic stuff like disassemble and clean, but if the
motor needs work, I will take it to a motor shop; otherwise it's $160
for a new motor - not very attractive.