Posted to rec.woodworking
Anon[_6_] Anon[_6_] is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Motor Removal

"mikenj" wrote in message
I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

If the motor has accessible carbon commutator brushes, I would remove them,
check for damaged brush ends, check motor rotation without them and
reinstall or replace them, before disassembling the entire arm.