Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning an Antique

On Jan 27, 9:07 am, "Mike" wrote:

Robert,
I have a newer table finished using older methods, but I am not sure exactly
what. Supposed to be French Polish, but I can't say for sure. Here is the
problem. The heating pad we used on the table wasn't quite good enough and
the heat from the dish left a slight grey on the finish you can see if you
look at the table from certain angles.

Mike - unless it is an honest to Pete custom piece, it won't be a real
French Polish finish. FP is a long, painstaking process that takes a
lot of time to do, and quite a while to master. You won't find it on
a mass produced piece (or anything I make or finish either!!).

Probably what you have is a FP "style" of finish if it is a
manufactured piece. That means it is one of the many members of the
quick dry lacquer family spray finishes.

The finish can be air cured (doubtful), UV cured (most likely), or
heat cured (depends on the age).

The finishes are applied, then probably buffed out after curing. Most
commonly a rouge concoction is used on a large lamb's wheel buffer to
"polish" (French? dunno.... maybe the guy drinks a latte when
working) the finish out enabling them to claim a hand or "French
style" of polish/finish.

Regardless, any of the cured finishes are almost impossible to repair
satisfactorily. They are very hard, solvent and water resistant, and
are applied with no consideration for future repairs. When these
finishes are applied properly, what you wind up with is a cured resin
product that little more than a high performance plastic film.
Adhesion is always a problem when trying to repair them as they are
purpose made to resist things sticking to them.

The discoloration from the heat is the downside to these finishes -
most are very susceptible to heat. The discoloration indicates you
have damaged the finish, so not a likely candidate for repair. And
even if it could be repaired, you would be tasked with trying to match
the color as well. Most colors are proprietary to the manufacturer,
and are mixed in the finish. Unless you are experienced in toning
finishes (!!) I would let this project go.

As far as putting anything on it, I wouldn't. If you have damaged the
surface and the graying is actually million tiny cracks caused by the
heat, anything you put on this area will seep in those cracks and
color/discolor your wood. You can easily wind up a worse problem by
trying to fix it.

If it is still smooth to the touch in the damaged area, and you can
clean it with the rest of table with no problems, my thoughts would be
to leave this one alone until you are ready for a refinishing project.

Robert