Posted to uk.d-i-y
pete pete is offline

Default making new copper look aged green

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:04:01 -0800 (PST), ransley wrote:
How do you get new copper to look naturaly aged green and stable,
Verdigris. I have used acids Hydrochloric, Hydroflouric, and find the
Verdigris is a top layer and sometimes bluer or darker green than
naturaly aged copper.

I have found Toilet bowl cleaner that has Hydrochloric acid is great
on old black copper gutters that wont fully turn green, as its already
buffered and gelled so it stays wet and doesnt drip on you as you
brush it on, and safer to use.

I have fumed copper in a heated tub but the results are darker and
more green than natural aging and the finish flakes off. I have heard
to sand and or heat the copper with a propane torch and that even Pee
is great, this I willl try next. There is a process to make copper
green and stable but I dont know it. Revere copper does it. Im on the
other side of the pond so excuse my terminology, this week will be
back to 0f degree, a bit cold.

Got any cow-pats nearby?