Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Best wood for house exterior

On Jan 25, 10:09*am, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Jan 25, 6:32*am, ls02 wrote:

What's the best wood for house outside exterior: trims, fascia, etc.
assuming all wood will be painted by exterior grade paint?

Hardie Board. While it isn't wood, it is still what I recommend. A bit
hard to work with, but once in place, it holds paint well & doesn't
rot.

Presuming that is the cement type Hardie board?
Which we understand comes in various horizontal and vertical styles.
Including trim boards.
Using it here in this very wet, windy climate has not been completely
successful.
Problems have been blamed on improper storage i.e. storing it outside,
even while still wrapped, before installation!
Also, once installed, problems have been blamed on our location and
climate. Most eastern Canada. Wet then freezing/thaw etc.
Was initially impressed; but my neighbour who used the lap siding
variety on the two ends of his A frame cabin, located in the woods but
miles not adjacent to the ocean had to remove it when it started
delaminating; he received compensation for the material and a certain
amount to cover the reinstallation of conventional wood-lap. A Hardie
company representative visited this zone and as we understand settled
a number of similar (delaminating/crumbling) 'claims'.
Our experience with 10* inch pine 'clap-board' stained dark red-brown,
with plain wood (spruce,fir or pine etc.) trim painted white, over
the last 40 years has been fully satisfactory. We have avoided the use
of roof gutters; a wide overhang taking roof run off some two feet
away from the house.And have therfore had relatively minor problems
roof edge problems. That often being a problem due to with gutters,
which fill up and or hold ice/snow.
On both this and our first house we used stain; not paint (paint for
trim only) and have had no problems with blistering/bubbling. Whereas
those who have 'painted' their siding have.
Our first house (very windy exposed location) had stained cedar
clapboard which a later owner covered up with vinyl' ugh!
*Eight inch reveal, two inch overlap.
If I was building a cabin I might use 'narrow' clapboard, that may
still be available here, sawn from the smaller trees that grow in this
area. Personally I would now, based on my neighbours experience avoid
any form of cement board but in a suitable climate it may be OK? For
trim only?.