Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Setting time for pvc glue versus "pressure testing" time

On Jan 24, 6:44*am, wrote:
On Jan 23, 11:40*pm, Zootal wrote:

I'm gluing some water pipes in my basement using Flowguard Gold medium cpvc
cement. The instructions say "allow one hour cure before pressure testing". *
Does that mean that after one hour I can just turn the water on and leave
it on? It gives no further instructions about drying time.

The cement I've used usually states the curing time relative to a
particular temperature and gives a pressure, eg ok to 120psi after 2
hours at 60F. *It takes longer to cure at lower temps. *So, as long as
you meet the temp spec for the 1 hour cure, and your water is normal
pressure, you are good to turn the water back on. * Personally, unless
there was a critical need, I would wait an extra hour to have extra
margin.

Second the extra wait. If there is a leak from the pressure, you will
not be able to take the pieces apart, so wait the extra time for cheap
insurance.