Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Sharkbite plumbing fittings - a bad idea?

RicodJour wrote:

On Jan 16, 2:37*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 15, 10:26*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:38:07 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:
On Jan 15, 9:23*pm, "Smarty" wrote:

I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use
Sharkbite push-fit plumbing fittings other than their
relatively high cost?

Rather than sweat soldering, they seem like a really
attractive and very fast way to install copper plumbing
without use of a torch or solder. I am especially curious to
know if they are holding up well, and are as good as they
appear on paper.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Compared to sweated fittings they are bulky and expensive and
ease of installation may range from not that much easier to a
real PITA compared to sweating copper.

Tell me a situation where a sharkbite is a PITA compared to
sweating copper. * * *

I only have 2 in my house in a spot where I didn't feel like
sweating a couple of joints because they were hard to get to &
surrounded by flammables. * * Haven't leaked yet- 3yrs or so.

They are expensive, they are bulky. * *But harder than sweating? I
don't see it.

Just didn't have room to fit them in as we both agree they are
bulky. You must think sweating Cu pipe is more difficult than I
do. Fact is I kind of enjoy doing it.

Your taking pleasure in sweating has nothing to do with the OP's
question and is entirely besides the fact. Your opinion that
installation may range from not that much easier to a real PITA
compared to sweating copper.

indicates you have never used them.

Sharkbite's are much faster than sweating, even if you're geared up to
sweat and have a bunch to do. A Sharkbite fitting takes about as much
time to install as cleaning a copper fitting joint. The ability to
use a Sharkbite fitting on copper, PEX or PVC, coupled with their ease
of installation, far outweighs the cost premium.

Thanks to all for replies and comments. My conclusion from all of this
is that they are apparently fast, easier to use, and in some situations
vastly superior where combustibles or very tight work areas limit
access. I also conclude that long term reliability is somewhat unproven
but quite possibly very good. And no doubt they cost a lot more, but
the labor savings may be substantial.

Again, thank you,

Smarty