Old January 16th 10, 06:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair
xparatrooper xparatrooper is offline

Default Sharkbite plumbing fittings - a bad idea?

On Jan 16, 4:37*am, wrote:
On Jan 15, 10:50*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

Smarty wrote:

I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

Rather than sweat soldering, they seem like a really attractive and
very fast way to install copper plumbing without use of a torch or
solder. I am especially curious to know if they are holding up well,
and are as good as they appear on paper.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Smarty

The Sharkbite fittings are very much like the push lock air fittings
that have been used for industrial pneumatic stuff for a long time, so I
would expect the reliability is good as long as the O ring material was
properly selected.

I'd say that comparing air fittings and water fittings and concluding
that because something works in one application it means it's OK for
the other is a little like saying that an O ring that's good for a
toilet is OK to use to seal the space shuttle fuel tanks. * *Until I
see 20+ years of actual field use, I'd use them where really
necessary, but not conclude they are a reliable solution to use
everywhere.

We have used them on various camp units on Alaska's North Slope.
These units are connected/disconnected twice a year for the drilling
season. We are talking about 40ft Connex's that have been converted
into sleeping/dining modules. The temps range from sometimes 70 F in
the summer to well below -50 in the winter. These fittings are
wonderful. After a couple three connects/disconnect cycles they need
replaced, but for a home user they would be ideal. They can handle
(if memory serves) around 200 psi and the hottest water your water
heater can make.

Two thumbs up!!