Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Squeaky chipboard floors

On Jan 13, 10:28*am, "slider" wrote:
"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message

I have chipboard floors across the upstairs of my house - with the
chipboard
screwed into the joists.

These are pretty squeaky and, given we're likely to be soon replacing the
dodgy old thread-bare carpets with decent ones I figure I should fix the
squeaking now before the new carpets go down.

Does anyone know the cause and the fix for this squeaking? *Is it simply a
matter of lifting the boards and re-screwing them down firmly, or is
something more involved recommended?

TIA,
Piers

You won't be able to lift the chipboard floor without breaking the tongue /
groove joint. *I would just put extra screws around the floor.
I had a section which would not stop squeaking no matter how many screws I
inserted. *It was a section of board which ran under a stud wall. *I cut out
about a foot square of the board, glued and screwed a noggin brace between
the floor joists then glued and screwed the cut board back in place -
obviously had to fit more timber onto the existing boards to support the cut
piece.

I also raked out the tongue and groove joint with an old screwdriver,
creating a small channel (about 2mm). *I then put wood glue in the groove
and brushed in the crap I raked out. *Seems to have stopped some squeaks in
certain areas.

Squeaking is due to bending and differential movement, with one piece
sliding over another under force. Take up the entire floor, that can
be done without breaking things, and either stiffen up the joist
structure, use thicker chip if its 12mm, or glue the chip back down to
make a stressed box structure.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...n_a_Wood_Floor

NT