Posted to uk.d-i-y
slider slider is offline

Default Squeaky chipboard floors

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message
I have chipboard floors across the upstairs of my house - with the
chipboard
screwed into the joists.

These are pretty squeaky and, given we're likely to be soon replacing the
dodgy old thread-bare carpets with decent ones I figure I should fix the
squeaking now before the new carpets go down.

Does anyone know the cause and the fix for this squeaking? Is it simply a
matter of lifting the boards and re-screwing them down firmly, or is
something more involved recommended?

TIA,
Piers

You won't be able to lift the chipboard floor without breaking the tongue /
groove joint. I would just put extra screws around the floor.
I had a section which would not stop squeaking no matter how many screws I
inserted. It was a section of board which ran under a stud wall. I cut out
about a foot square of the board, glued and screwed a noggin brace between
the floor joists then glued and screwed the cut board back in place -
obviously had to fit more timber onto the existing boards to support the cut
piece.

I also raked out the tongue and groove joint with an old screwdriver,
creating a small channel (about 2mm). I then put wood glue in the groove
and brushed in the crap I raked out. Seems to have stopped some squeaks in
certain areas.