Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default anyone want a small lathe for pen turning

1. Call it "Swing over bed" = 6"
2. Radius = 3"
3. Distance between Centers - how long a rod can be placed to be worked upon.
4. Length of bed (biggest gripe with me ) the length of physical ways (not
usable or machinable region) = under the bed to farthest end under
the tailstock.
Martin

Bill Noble wrote:
see here http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page4.html for info on this
lathe - it shows it as a 1948 model - 109-2063 --- this one is missing
the gear box and all that goes with it.

I guess I should have called it a 6 inch lathe, right?

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
How did you measure the '3 inch'.

Martin

Bill Noble wrote:
I just cleaned up a 3 inch craftsman metal lathe - it's missing parts
needed for metal working (like the whole gear assembly) but it has a
nice cross slide and the worm gear is good so it would make a decent
pen lathe if you wanted uniform straight barrels - you will need to
either find, make or jury rig a quill for the tailstock, but other
than that it's OK to use as is - I can get around $150 to $200 if I
take my time parting it out, but I'd rather it find a home quickly -
so if someone is interested, drop me a note via the email address on
my web page - I figure $75 is fair. Oh, the spindle thread is
1/2-20, and it's a 0 morse taper, bronze bearings, so it's light duty
- never to be a bowl lathe - could also be useful for making any
other round parts that need to fit, and of course you can do metal
working (but not threading - you need the gears for that).