Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Kilpatrick Michael Kilpatrick is offline

Default Door latches/locks for unsprung door knobs

A.Lee wrote:

I had the same earlier this year. Even though a pair of knobs was £10
(trade price), they were rubbish. Looked good, but nowhere near smooth
enough. I changed the mortice for a much better quality one, and it was
still the same. Changed the knobs for a £25 pair, and they were fine.

Funny you should talk about duff knobs. After writing my previous reply
to you I then went to fit the two thumb turn locks (on 5mm spindles) to
the bathroom and toilet doors. They were the only ones I could get in
Cambridge, from Ridgeons, this afternoon. Almost £15 each. Brass, but
not stylistically matching the knobs. They are made by Dale.

Good enough until I find better? Apparently not. They weren't even made
properly and I had to ream out the hole in one of the roses so that the
thumb turn - which itself was deformed - would fit properly. Two
identical units and one them had two glaring faults.

Quite unbelieveable. Four noddy bits of brass and a steel square
spindle, and they can't even make it correctly!

Michael