Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne[_2_] Dave Osborne[_2_] is offline

Default Door latches/locks for unsprung door knobs

Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
Our builder has, much to my annoyance, fitted a mortice sash lock on a
new bedroom door and two bathroom locks on two other new doors which are
not capable of supporting unsprung door knobs. We have some nice brass
knobs to use.

I had absolutely no idea about this nonsense. I just wanted to slap a
nice brass door knob on the door, but no, some idiot decided that they
would make door locks with insufficient spring strength.

It's not nonsense. If you have too strong a spring pressure, then young
children and old people have difficulty operating a lever-type handle
and absolutely no chance of turning a knob.

Obviously, you've never come across this before and the builder has
reasonably assumed that you will have sprung handles, which the vast
majority of domestic handles are.