Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Door latches/locks for unsprung door knobs

Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

Our builder has, much to my annoyance, fitted a mortice sash lock on a
new bedroom door and two bathroom locks on two other new doors which are
not capable of supporting unsprung door knobs. We have some nice brass
knobs to use.

I'd say they are either very cheap mortices, or, more likely cheap
knobs.
I had the same earlier this year. Even though a pair of knobs was £10
(trade price), they were rubbish. Looked good, but nowhere near smooth
enough. I changed the mortice for a much better quality one, and it was
still the same. Changed the knobs for a £25 pair, and they were fine.

What's the likelihood I'll have to tell the builder he'll have to get
new doors because the old ones can't be modified to fit a different
sized unit?

I'd tell you it wasnt possible to do that unless you wanted to pay for
them. If you supplied the knobs, I'd tell you they were no good, and
you'd need better quality knobs.
Most mortices and locks can be changed without damaging the door surface
anyway.
Alan.