Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Large wall of drawers: How to build frame/carcass?

Seems pretty simple. Just build several plywood boxes (in your garage)
3' wide by 2' deep by 5' tall, no backs or fronts. Don't worry about
the fact that where they join they will have double thickness. The
build and move convenience of smaller pieces out weighs the loss of a
few inches in storage space.

Set them on the floor against the wall where you want the storage. For
a nicer look, set them on top of a 3" high box on the floor that is
only 21" deep so you have a 3 x 3 toe kick space. Screw them to each
other and the wall (maybe braces across the back to help attach.

Build a face frame(s), one large piece if possible or each separate,
just the biggest pieces you can get into the room from your shop.
Smaller drawers at the top, progressively bigger toward the bottom,
maybe one 6" deep, one 9" deep and the rest a full foot. OK to split
some of the 3' wide sections in half on smaller drawers if you want.

Use good drawer slides mounted to the sides of the boxes. Build boxes
from Baltic Birch ply. Plan face frame size for overlay drawer faces.
Make the drawer faces overlay by 1/2" all around and even gaps between
drawers.

At the top either run the top face frame into the ceiling (if it is
somewhere close) or drop a piece of 3/4 play, edged with solid wood
overhanging 1 1/2"

On Dec 9, 7:55*am, Kevin wrote:
Hi all,

I have a finished attic and I am looking to make it more useful by
building a storage unit that is made up of large drawers. *The space I
want to fill is about 9' wide x 5' tall x 2' deep and I hope to end up
with about 12-15 drawers of various sizes, but most will be about 3
feet wide and 1 foot high. *This is essentially a big dresser, but
this is not furniture I'm building, so although functionality is
important, great beauty is not. *My other concern is that the frame/
carcass be strong enough to support fully loaded drawers (with
appropriately rated slides). *Does anyone know of a plan out there on
the web or in a book that might fit the bill? My searching for the
last few days has not turned up anything. I have found many plans for
dressers, etc, but nothing that matches the size or style (or I should
say, lack of style) of this project.

Many thanks in advance!

Kevin