Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default How to clean outside of white aluminum gutters

on 11/16/2009 4:07 PM (ET) Ray K wrote the following:
They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and gray
spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides accumulate in
"puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

I've tried the following, applied with a saturated paper towel to
small test areas:
-- full-strength bleach
-- full-strength Simple Green
-- full-strength white vinegar
-- full-strength TSP substitute
-- 91% rubbing alcohol. Some improvement, but labor intensive to do
all 158 feet.
-- paint thinner

I've also tried the following:
-- spray gas log cleaner
-- spray Fantastic
-- a mix of bleach with Oxydol laundry detergent, applied with brush.
Makes some improvement.
-- a mix of 1 part Simple Green, 1 part bleach, 2 parts water, applied
with a sponge. Makes some improvement.

I haven't tried ammonia, since I don't have any in the house.

I admit that I haven't had the patience to wait 5 to 10 minutes for
any of the above to work. I was hoping to find something that I could
apply with a dust-pan brush and have the streaks magically disappear
immediately. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray

I painted mine with semigloss white exterior latex paint. They don't get
as dirty as before and just clean up with soap and water.
It'll probably takes less time to paint than the time it takes for you
to clean them.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY