Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default NEC sucks

E Z Peaces wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

The old way had advantages. A switch inside the front door. Otherwise,
a string dangling just above head level in the middle of each room.

Less wiring, which meant less installation and maintenance.

If a room had two doors and one switch, I'd rather walk a couple of
steps in while feeling for a string than cross the room and feel for a
wall switch.

If you go to bed in a room with a switch at each door and have no
bedside lamp, you have to walk to your bed barefoot in the dark. If you
have a string dangling in the middle of the room, you can be beside the
bed when you turn off the light. You could even tie three strings to
the pull chain so you could switch the light from the bed or either door.

OK, that's it! I'm running eye hooks and strings to all of the kitchen,
bedroom and living room entrances! Pull one string for on and one for
off. Now how to mark the strings... I'll go with the 1 and 0 which is
becoming popular. Off has a round loop on the string and on has a
straight... something, or nothing.