Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] usenet-659f31de7f953aeb@asgard.slcc.edu is offline

Default NEC sucks

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 19:22:49 -0500, in alt.home.repair, aemeijers
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

I wonder if there's a mandate for ANY light to have a switch.

I remember reading about a bowling alley who, for some reason, wanted to
turn off the lights. They couldn't find the switch(es)!

In the seven years of the bowling alley's existence, the lights had never
been turned off and no one remembered where the switches were. Or if there
even were any.

I've seen a few pole barns done on the cheap that way, using the
breakers as switches. Not recommended, for obvious reasons.

Switch-rated breakers? They must exist.

In my youth, many centuries ago, I worked at a gas station where all of the
exterior lighting was breaker switched. Being too young to know better I
never thought anything of it, but I didn't much like the two breakers that
would periodically fall out of the breaker panel when you switched them.

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in