Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Where is the air coming from.

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:40:24 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:36:53 -0500, mm
wrote:

How do I accurately figure out where air is blowing out from, from my
furnace flue area, which is next to my hot air duct.

Get some small diameter hose, 3/8 or so. Hold one end up to your ear
and probe around where you think the air is coming from with the
other. When you get close it will sound like a hurricane.

Also a very good idea. In my case maybe a better one because my 30
year old incesnse didn't burn well.

I will check for wind tomorrow again, but tonight I had decided it was
coming from the outer surface of the firebox, at the top by the heat
exchanger, and when it cooled and I put my hand in, fingertips up, it
turned out there was a wide but shallow opening from the warm air
duct. Not from the exhaust gases at all but from the warm air duct to
the heating ducts. That explains why the breeze was only there after
the main blower fan turned on. I don't remember if I had this before.
I guess I must have.

Surely it's okay to plug this hole, right?