Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L[_2_] Phil L[_2_] is offline

Default Edge of flat roof leaking

Clive wrote:
Hi,

Water is coming through the edge of the wall and ceiling on an
external wall. There is a flat roof with felt that looks in decent
condition. I think the rain is coming through a crack in the roof felt
as it folds over the edge of the roof. Most of the rain water is going
into the gutter but some is running down the fascia board and I think
“creeping” back into the room.

Now the question is how do I fix it? I guess the area will be soaking
wet and will need to dry out. Also I need to fix the problem.

So how will I best get all this to dry out to avoid later fungi or
rot? How do I fix the crack in the edge of the roof felt? I have some
of that self-adhesive roll that is sticky on one side and metallic on
the other side. Will that adhere to the felt or come off? Is there
some “goo” I can put into the crack in the felt?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Clive

You can use flashband (what you describe above) but don't use any silicone
sealant or the flashband won't stick - silicone attacks the bitumen.
Get a blowtorch to dry and warm the area first, then warm the piece of
flashband and stick it on, then run the torch over the area to ensure it
sticks down well.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008