Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Cracks in Plaster Due to Very Cold Temperatures

frank1492 wrote:

I think this theory is incorrect. My GF is selling her mother's house
and is
reluctant to shut down the heat and drain the pipes over the winter.
(We live in the Northeast.) She was told by an "expert" that the
plaster will crack. I regularly shut my heat off for the winter at my
summer home, and have never had cracks in my plaster ceilings.
I'd like your comments. Obviously sudden temperature changes
might do it, but not one slow drop.
Thanks in advance for help.

Freezing temps alone will not crack your plaster. BUT. . . .
No way would I shut the heat off in a house I was selling.

I want the most comfortable house for both agents and buyers to visit.
I *don't want little surprises when I turn the water back on- leaky
valves, busted pipes that didn't get drained, cracked toilet tanks.
The wonderful smell of 3 month old pee from someone peeing in a toilet
that wont flush.
A furnace that is now balking because it sat idle for so long.

By the time you pay a plumber to properly drain all those pipes- even
if nothing goes wrong- you can probably buy enough fuel to keep a
closed up house at 50 degrees or so.

I *would* suggest a remote readable thermostat that calls if the temp
drops to dangerous levels. I haven't ever researched them but my
B-I-L has one. He can call it an hour before he reaches the camp so
it is nice and toasty when he gets there. The cost will be
made up for in peace of mind and the 'wow' factor when she gives the
number to the realtor.

Jim