Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ash[_4_] Ash[_4_] is offline

Default Sharp Sales Practice?

No, the type you describe was always relatively uncommon and AFAIK no-one
makes that type any more (i.e. as high-efficiency/condensing boilers).
Much more common is the arrangement whereby the primary gas-water heat
exchanger heats water that goes either to the central heating or to a
secondary heat exchanger that heats the hot water. These secondary heat
exchangers are usually plate types (PHEs) and these are susceptible to
scaling ('furring') up on the secondary, domestic hot water, side, or to
getting blocked up with gritty magnetic debris on the primary side from
the water that also goes round the radiators. In my limited experience of
this phenomenon it seems to be Baxi Combi 80 or 100s and Potterton
Performas (same model, different badge) which are susceptible.

Checked again with my mother and it's a Ideal Boiler HE30 and yes your
correct it's got a Plate Heat Exchanger .. (accordingly to the manual she
has).

If she doesn't have one fitted then, whilst they'll
fix the heat exchanger with a sonic cleanse this time,

Interested to know what a 'sonic cleanse' is.

We're not sure what a sonic cleanse is also ... perhaps some sort of ray gun
8-( ?

Looks like we'll be waiting a while ... they've booked her in for 14th
November to come and do the repairs. She's in her 70's and they consider it
reasonable to let her wait over two weeks before she can have a bath. I
think a nice strong phone call is in order first thing in the morning.