Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sharp Sales Practice?

John Rumm wrote:
Ash wrote:

My mother telephoned today to say that the heating engineer had
called to identify her hot water problem with her combi and they had
told her that her Heat Exchanger had furred. I haven't the make or
model number for the combi but I don't think it really matters as
most combi work on a similar principle (?) that they heat hot water
for the central heating/radiators on one system and the heating of
the hot water is a separate system and both systems are contained
within the combi.

It might be worth checking the make and model, since although you are
correct that the majority of combis work on the same principle, there
are a few that deviate from the norm.

The query my mother has raised is that the heating engineer has said
that she needs a Magnaclean filter fitting to stop the hot water
heat exchanger furring up again. If she doesn't have one fitted
then, whilst they'll fix the heat exchanger with a sonic cleanse
this time, they'll charge her if it furrs up again. He can fit one
for a round £200. To me the Magnaclean will only stop the sludging
of the radiators of the central heating and will have no effect
what-so-ever on the heat exchanger ... am I right?

Probably. If by "furred" they mean the HW HE was obstructed by hard
water scale on the domestic hard water side, then you are right - the
magnaclean will have no effect. If they mean the HE was blocked on the
primary flow side by sludge, then it may help. (although fixing why
the primary side is sludging up in the first place would be better
than trying to treat the symptom).

As I'm relaying this story third party I'd rather not say which well
known and national company my mother has a maintenance contract with
just in case

British gas then ;-)

Spooky - I thought the very same :-) Bunch of bandits IMO.. At least Dick
Turpin had the decency to wear a mask...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk