Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ash[_4_] Ash[_4_] is offline

Default Sharp Sales Practice?

My mother telephoned today to say that the heating engineer had called to
identify her hot water problem with her combi and they had told her that her
Heat Exchanger had furred. I haven't the make or model number for the combi
but I don't think it really matters as most combi work on a similar
principle (?) that they heat hot water for the central heating/radiators on
one system and the heating of the hot water is a separate system and both
systems are contained within the combi.

The query my mother has raised is that the heating engineer has said that
she needs a Magnaclean filter fitting to stop the hot water heat exchanger
furring up again. If she doesn't have one fitted then, whilst they'll fix
the heat exchanger with a sonic cleanse this time, they'll charge her if it
furrs up again. He can fit one for a round £200. To me the Magnaclean will
only stop the sludging of the radiators of the central heating and will have
no effect what-so-ever on the heat exchanger ... am I right?

As I'm relaying this story third party I'd rather not say which well known
and national company my mother has a maintenance contract with just in case
she's got some wires crossed somewhere (which I doubt). To me the
requirement to fit a Magnaclean, whilst good advice for the central
heating/radiators, has nothing to do with the fault and smacks of sharp
sales practice and someone wanting to boost their sales bonus.

Any thoughts?

Ash