Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving a Consumer Unit. Cable extension "best practice" question. [PING Andy Gabriel]

In article ,
Tim W writes:
Andrew Gabriel
wibbled on Tuesday 27 October 2009 13:46

One concern might be the single earth, whereas a ring has two separate
earth routes. However, what's not so obvious in the picture is that
all the DIN rail earth terminals also connect to the DIN rail, so
actually there are 4 paralleled earth connections from the DIN rail
back to the main earthing terminal. Were it not for this, I would
say that if you are using a single 4mm or 6mm T&E branch to a ring
circuit, I would add a second earth connection in parallel with the
integral earth in the T&E for redundancy.

Andrew,

How do you rate the electrical integrity of the DIN rail to earth clamp?

I have bought some RS terminals for my lighting junction boxes, and I was
considering relying on the DIN rail to common the earth terminals. Whilst
this appears to be the intention, do you consider it sufficient?

I wouldn't rely on it without finding a suitable product spec
and/or BS/EN reference.

--
Andrew Gabriel