Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Rug Backing on Bath Floor

charlie wrote:

i've had rubber backed mats get sticky as they age just through
normal use. they started sticking to things so they got tossed, so i
have no idea how to remove the residue. try mild things first and
work up, as anything that may also dissolved the rubber will also
probably attack the linoleum.

Long ago I lived in an apartment where a clause in the lease specified no
bath mats with rubber backing as the rubber (or whatever it is) can leave
stains that are not coming off no matter what cleaner you use. We had
something similar happen with rubber feet on a kitchen table. I've also
seen foam shelf-liners stick to shelves and/or anything that was on them for
a long time like tools etc. So it seems the smart thing to do is avoid the
use of rubber or rubber-substitute materials in contact with floors unless
you're sure the material isn't going to stain or bond with the flooring.