Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Rug Backing on Bath Floor

In article ,
"rdoc" wrote:

I currently need to get a bath painted and freshened that had the bath rugs
stuck to the floor. The backing has come off crumbly and remained on the
linoleum (sp?). I might believe the folks who have used it for the last year
when they say that the toilet tank kept sweating and getting the rugs wet as
there is a grayed area under the tank and along the sides up to the rug...
but there is absolutely *no* smell that would indicate it is anything but
water.

It puzzles me, actually, that the rest of the room seems very well kept but
they do not pick up the runner, though... maybe they used something to clean
that made it stick and don't want to take the blame and it's easier to say
it's the toidy and not their fault? I do know that this tank had some
sweating a few summers back but my understanding is that is was not
critical. Maybe they leave the regular mat while they are still dripping wet
and leave the room a soggy mess?

I guess I'm saying I feel sure it's not whiz and likely water but leaving
the door open that it may be a cleaner or something. At any rate, here are
my questions:

1. How can I remove the backing without destroying the linoleum under it,
not knowing what stuck it there? That flooring is only about 10 years old
and needs to go (and should have gone) another 10.

2. If I can save that strip... how can I get the gray out of the flooring
under the tank?

3. Outside of plumbing in a hot line to the cold supply, are there any ways
to stop the sweat? (This is well water from a deep well if that affects the
temp any).

Thanks

My money's on the floor being toast. I had a tenant ruin a brand new
vinyl floor in the three years he was living, er, I mean, growing pot in
my house. In that case it was a water reservoir that supplied various
rooms via hoses. The small drips here and there kept the vinyl under the
tank constantly wet, and the resulting stain was not removable. Hey, you
got more life out of yours than I did out of mine.