Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default What duct work do I buy for dust collection

dpb wrote:
jtpr wrote:
I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Most home shop folks just use plastic any more.

26 ga snap-lock duct is the only (semi-)economical metal choice...

Yes.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/economy-snaplock-pipe.html

for example. May have better luck at the HVAC supply places than box
stores locally.

Snap-lock is available at most home centers (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) but most of it's
paper-thin 30-gauge (or ever thinner) junk. You *can* find 26 gauge (28 gauge is probably
ok for smaller diameters or short sections) at Lowe's-Depot, but many times the stuff is
mislabeled; bring your micrometer. I have a half-dozen or more Lowe's and Home Depot stores
within driving distance, and they ALL carried a different variety of brands and gauges,
sometimes within the same store. Incidentally, I *tried* to shop every HVAC place in my
area (and I live in Austin, so there are a lot of them), but I didn't buy anything from
*any* of them; most of them weren't any better than Lowe's or Home Depot in terms of
selection (and price!), and many of them deal with contractors only and don't want to talk
to the man on the street.

I would recommend going first to Kencraft (http://kencraftcompany.com) and try to get as
much as you can from them, then falling back on Penn State for the remainder of your needs.
Every single thing I ordered from Kencraft was of superior quality, and they ship fast.
Penn State has more stuff, but some of it ain't as good, and it took them *much* longer to
ship it than Kencraft.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.