Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] alan200@iinet.net.oz is offline

Default Slow, slow, slow

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:44:30 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:
His (and my ) shed will be 20 x 9 metres (approx 66' x 30'), 180 sq metres
against my current 70 sq metres in the 2 sheds.

well, Alan, now I'm jealous.... I have about 2 by 2 meters for my turning
area, and 1/2 of a 2 car garage for most everything else..... your shed is
bigger than my house

I commiserate with you, the new shed is about as big as my 2 sheds +
current house combined.

Progress report the bloody greenies have been defeated and
the "heritage" Marri trees have been felled.

There are many trees on the block, about 100, which will be
preserved, but the "council environment officer" decreed that the 2
dangerous trees just outside the building envelope, leaning at 15
degrees from vertical over the envelope, were possible nesting sites
for the "red tailed black cockatoo" just because there was an old
crows nest in the largest of them. This particular tree was over 2
metres in diameter and 35+ metres high and about 45 tonnes weight. It
fell exactly where the shed will be, with the top branches about 8
metres past where the end of the shed will be. The other tree was
only a metre diameter, 30 metres high, but was 1 metre from where the
corner of the house will be.

When confronted, the greenie admitted he had no qualifications in
arborculture to say that the trees were not dangerous and "felt" that
they should be preserved. He also admitted that he would not like to
have them leaning over his house or shed! Going to a councillor (
ratepayer representative ) and the council CEO fixed him and we could
remove the two trees outside the building envelope.

I have a friend, "Whale carver", who will take both trunks and
turn them into fine furniture and others who will turn the branches
into firewood. I will, of course, keep some to turn into woodchips
on the lathe.

Current priority is to get the old Fordson Super Major tractor I
just bought, working. Previous owner had burnt out the clutch by
doing everything with the FEL in high range, third gear. Today the
clutch was replaced, tomorrow the hydraulic control valve for the FEL
gets new "O" rings and a new hose where it was leaking, then 2 new
front tyres, lights, flashers so it can be licenced for the road to
travel between #1 son's block in Darling Downs where I will be living
& #2 son's property in Kenwick, where it is being repaired. It has
wide rear tyres and will not fit on the car trailer, besides being too
heavy with water filled tyres ( about 4 tonnes ), Patrol is only rated
to tow 3.2 tonnes & trailer + tractor is 4.8 tonnes.

I have to get the trees cut up and removed ready for the
contractors to prepare the shed & house sites in the next couple of
weeks and all the grass cut and firebreaks prepared by 30th November

Alan