Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default How long does it take carpet to dry after cleaning it with a Vax?

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 07:08:45 -0700, johnboy wrote:

We bought a Vax about a year ago but never got around to using it.

Plan to try it this weekend but not sure how long we should plan for
the room to be off limits?

Depends on the carpet. I've not tried with a Vax, but with other machines
I've found it's usually a few hours to at least to be walkable on without
getting damp feet, and probably a day to fully dry.

I did make the mistake of trying to clean a foam-backed (about 1/2"),
deep-pile carpet once; about a week later it was still damp and smelled
yuck as the foam just wouldn't dry out. Thankfully it was due for
replacement anyway, so I bumped that job up and tore it all out...

Should I leave the heating on to help dry it out?

Probably. If you've got a big portable fan (we've got one that's 2'
across) those *really* help; you can quickly dry high-traffic areas.

Talking of which, make sure people only walk on it with clean feet for
the next day or so - dirt just loves to stick to anything that's even
slightly damp, even if it might feel dry to the touch.

cheers

Jules