Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring Humidifier to furnace

On Oct 7, 7:00*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:13:36 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

-snip-
Could someone look at these and try to put into words where the
transformer wires-- 2 black & a green-- go?
Schematic
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ng_diagram.jpg
Humidifier hook-up
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ifierwiring_sm....

If you want the transformer to power up when the blower is on, connect it to
the white and black wires where the diagram shows the blower, unless you're
using the medium speed, then use the white and blue

Thanks-- * I didn't think that was a choice *I* made. * *I thought the
furnace chose the speed & I was looking for something to connect to
before it made that choice. * *I'll have another read through the
literature to see what it says about the two speeds.

Thanks-
Jim

What determines if the furnace blower runs on high or med speed during
heating? The diagram shows that the blower can run at med or even
low if the nozzle size is small enough. I would guess that this must
be set via a dipswitch somewhere on the controls. Assuming you have
it set to always run at high speed, then as RBM said, the transformer
goes across the black and white wires going to the motor.

If the furnace can choose itself whether to run at high or med, then
you have a more difficult problem, because there is no easy way to
wire the transformer so that it will have AC power in either case.

I have an Aprilaire and mine is wired so that the transformer always
has 120V. There is a seperate trigger lead that is connected to the
furnace controls on the 24V side to then turn it on when the furnace
is running.